The Abeka phonics program is a fantastic introduction to Abeka's teaching curriculum. You can use it as the core of a Christian homeschool preschool curriculum with very little extras needed.
It is a solid homeschool curriculum that integrates phonics and high value sight words, that a young preschool age child would have difficulty "sounding out" on his own.
This Christian home school curriculum focuses on teaching your child the letter sounds and begins to teach him/her to read so that he can enjoy the Bible for himself! Great Scripture passages are woven throughout this program.
Phonics drill charts, flashcards, worksheets, workbooks, and readers comprise the curriculum for teaching the alphabet and beginning to read.
Abeka's homeschool program emphasizes these six steps for young learners so they can become proficient readers:
- identify and sound out short vowels
- learn consonants and their sounds
- learn blends, such as ba, be, bi...
- learn one vowel words
- learn the long vowels and two vowel words
- learn the special phonics rules
Some strengths about the program and specific Abeka homeschool books include:
- Christian content
- rules are taught
- fun, learning activities and games
- colorful readers
- helpful teacher's instruction manual
And, some of the weaknesses I have seen with this program include:
- very challenging pace for certain types of learners
- cursive penmanship is introduced very early in the program
- costly teacher's manual
- additional expense associated with supplemental resources
That really is all that I could come up with for the weaknesses of this phonics curriculum. It is a very thorough program that will easily prepare your child for reading on his own.
If you want your children to become confident readers, particularly at an early age, Abeka has a lot to offer. Check them out on their website to see if this is the best choice for your family.
Go back to Abeka Homeschool Curriculum
Return from Abeka Phonics to Homeschool Curriculum