Benefits of Home School
Home school support groups offer many benefits for families from homeschool activities for the children to informed discussions about the pros and cons of homeschooling. Some organizations even offer parents' meetings, enrichment classes, and teams to enhance the homeschool lessons you're teaching.
Places to Look
- check with the local churches which may have introductory home school meetings as well as provide information to new families
- see if your state has a name of a homeschool group meeting at a location near you
- always ask others for a recommendation of where they meet with other homeschoolers
- you just might have to start a group if none exists in your area
Advantages of Membership
- great social interaction for your children and yourself with like-minded friends
- interaction with adults who share your homeschooling interests and will encourage and support your decision to home educate
- homeschool encouragement from fellow home schoolers
- field trips and activities provide opportunities to meet new friends beyond the normal sphere of home, church or sports activities
- best homeschool curriculum suggestions from others who have used them and opportunities to swap resources
- relevant homeschooling information
There is a lot of variety so select wisely. Spend time with the members and get to know the leadership before you finally decide.
Features of Groups
Some things I have learned to look for include:
- how well your children enjoy the other children in the group
- whether the others in the group are close in age with your children
- how well you will enjoy the adult relationships and benefit from them
- types of field trips or activities and how often they are regularly offered
- religious or political viewpoints expressed by the adults
- travel time required to participate in group events
These groups can provide great relationships for your children and yourself. However, make sure they do not interfere with your primary objective which is to instruct your children at home and instill YOUR core values within their hearts.
Go back to Start Homeschooling Page
Return from Home School Support Groups to Homeschool Curriculum
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.